No Day but Today

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

It couldn't be worse! .............. Wait, I mean better!

My subject line is courtesy of Molly and Jillian's host mom. It was her response when asked by a group of study abroad advisors (from different universities who came to Grenoble to check out the API program) what it was like to host an American student. Imagine the quickly dropped jaws of all the advisors, and then her quick recovery. Comedy at its finest.

Top that with Kettelyne- a student in the program that's been here a year- responding to an advisor's question at the dinner last night about study abroad- "Study abroad is worthless!" >pause< "I mean priceless!"

So, please, none of you be surprised if I come home and can't think of the English words for small things. Things I would have ordinarily known. This language sneaks into your brain and plants falsities- false cognates, mispelled words, etc. Im just warning all of you.

And I have a whole new appreciation for the remark we always chastized Manar about- "Senior year it's gonna be!" I understand now. ;)

Another day of strikes in France. At least it's not raining like it was last Tuesday. It's actually beautiful. Not a cloud in the sky, although the temperature has dipped considerably. I almost wore shorts the other day and now Im back in my coat. We leave for Nice Friday morning, and Im hoping some kind of heat wave will sweep the country so I can actually lay on the beach. And just se detendre- relax.
I have some tests this week in my courses. That's always exciting. This weekend the sun finally showed its face- after a long week of hiding- and I got to relax outside and read a book. I read Memoirs of A Geisha and Im almost done with my short-story compilation book. It's really great- compiled by Joyce Carol Oates and Janet Berliner, it's called Snapshots, and is just a collection of short stories from modern female writers about the relationship between mothers and daughters. It's great.
Last night was the dinner with API. It was nice to have a dinner in English, and actually sound (somewhat) like an articulate college student again. I think API is a great program, and I enjoyed promoting it. And speaking about my experience, what I wish I would've known beforehand, etc. And quite a few of them seem interested in that powerpoint I made.
Good times.
Took another NATURE WALK- it deserves all capitals- with Laura and Jenna. I like exploring the Montbonnot countryside and the mysterious fields of perfect grass. Still intrigues me.

Friday night I went to this crazy Jazz concert with API. I say crazy because it wasn't really jazz. It was more "New Age." And they were a group from Norway. Ever since my modern art class about decadence, Ive been scared of modern art/literature/music that comes from the Scandinavian countries, and this group was no different. I think my favorite song was "Fat Girl's Revenge" where the lead singer kind of screamed for five minutes, accompanied by the lightest tinkling of the keyboard, and only a soft, slow drumbeat. And Im also convinced she spoke in tongues at one point. Interesting experience to say the least, but the theater was really pretty. Saturday hung around with Maylis and Vero. Maylis had her friends over- the ones who had the Raclette that she took me to the first weekend I was in Grenoble. The guys are so nice and made sure to involve me a lot in the conversation. Gentlemen. And of course, we had a fabulous meal because there were boys in the house to be fed! Ha. And holy cow, we had this lemon pie that was unlike anything I had ever tasted before. Isabelle is going to have to FedEx me things when I go back to the US. I mean, really.

Sunday I went to mass with the family. This was my first English speaking mass ever- I've been to mass a couple of times- with Herbie, Summer- and it's always been in Spanish. So I was able to understand a bit more, but it did make me think of being in the FRONT row of Grace Presbyterian with Dad, Becky and the girls. It was nice because we walked to church- even crossed a bubbling brook- everything is so quaint. It's in a stone building that seems relatively new, but is constructed in a gothic style. Very beautiful church.

Not much else to report. Im eagerly awaiting Spring! I haven't put any pictures online yet- Ive got a great picture from my window of a double rainbow!- but hopefully soon. I want them to be entitled "Spring Comes to Grenoble," but alas, that hasn't happened yet. There are a few patches of wildflowers here and there, and some trees are blooming pink petals of some sort, but nothing overwhelming yet.

Hopefully soon.
And whatever you may be hearing on the news, Im fine. The manifestations are far from me and are not interrupting my coursework. The only way they affect me is that there are less buses and trams, so transportation becomes a little more difficult.

A bientot
Bisous
Chelsea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home